Sunday, October 28, 2012

My husband and I once wanted to buy a cedar breakfront cupboard/bookcase for books and glasses. Each time we went to the auctions the price had increased yet again.  We gave up and bought this old cupboard as a "make-do until we grow rich".
The wood is somewhat mismatched, although one end looks almost like oak.  It is very coarsely grained, and the whole piece looks rather crude and rough and almost home made.  Perhaps that is why I have never seen another like it.  Or, perhaps it was always such a cheap piece that others simply threw theirs out when they could afford better - when they grew rich..
But the hinges - there are four of them, are quite beautiful.  Over the years this has become one of my favourite pieces.
Simple and unpretentious.  Both ordinary and beautiful.
In this it reminds me of the youtube flash operas in malls and supermarkets. No stage to separate, no fabulous costumes, just very ordinary people with an astonishing streak of beauty in their voices.
This flash performance is actually an advertisement, so it is better produced than most.  If you have the few minutes to watch it, I feel sure that you will enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_popout&v=GBaHPND2QJg





4 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

What lovely Arts and Crafts hinges. The Arts and Crafts Movement was created as a protest against mass-production, and to promote the beauty of hand-crafted furniture. If you're thinking of selling, bring it over here....you could not be more gracefully poised on the cutting edge of style. But I'm sure you love it too much to think of selling!

Elephant's Child said...

Those hinges are a joy and a delight. Thank you for showing us.

I watched the flash mob with awe and much pleasure and yet, as I do each time, found I had tears in my eyes well before the finish. Thank you for two beautiful items in this post - and three if I count your prose (which I do).

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and
sources back to your site? My website is in the exact same niche as
yours and my users would definitely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
Please let me know if this ok with you. Regards!
My site :: Avoid

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the hard work you put into your website
and in depth information you provide. It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same
unwanted rehashed material. Wonderful read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to
my Google account.
Also visit my web-site :: wind